The town of Chernivtsi has seen different governments, belonged to various empires, but everything in it remained respectful-tolerant and thoughtful-beautiful. The town can always be discovered from new perspectives, coming to it again and again to feel the atmosphere created for centuries.
Due to its history, natural beauty, magnificent architecture, generous spirits of its inhabitants Chernivtsi ranked a considerable position among Ukrainian and European cities long ago. Ancient origin and historical development fill it with special charm and attraction for people who are interested in Bukovyna.
The first written record of the town is found in the manuscripts of Moldavian landlord Alexander the Kind, issued to the merchants from Lviv on October 8, 1408. Every year this date is celebrated as an official town’s birthday. From the middle of XIX to the beginning of XX centuries numerous architectural monuments were constructed becoming a real glory of the town: Town Hall (1848); the building of Post-Office (1855); Armenian Church (1875); Jewish Synagogue (1877); Music and Drama Theatre (1905); Palace of Justice (1906); the building of Railway Station (1908).
The most fascinating architectural pearl in Chernivtsi is a masterpiece created by a well-known Czech architect Joseph Glavka – former Residence of Bukovinian Metropolitans. On June 28, 2011, the architectural ensemble of the Residence of Bukovinian Metropolitans and Dalmatia was included to the UNESKO world heritage.
The Theatre has become one more visiting card of Bukovyna capital. The Theatre was designed by Viennese architects F. Felner and H. Helmer. Its twin-brother is located in the town of Furth (Germany). The troupe of this theatre went on tour to Chernivtsi in 2001. In 1907 a monument to Friedrich Schiller was constructed in front of the Theatre, and in 1980 – the monument to Olga Kobylianska. The Theatre was named after her in 1954.
To the right of the Theatre one can see the building of Higher State Educational Establishment of Ukraine “Bukovinian State Medical University”. It is this facility that has become an original dwelling for celestial patrons. From the façade of the building constructed in 1912 as the Palace of Trade and Crafts, passer-byes are watched by Demeter, Goddess of harvest and fertility, and Hermes, God of trade, heraldry, merchants, commerce, roads, thieves, trickery, sports, travelers, and athletes, the emissary and messenger of the gods.
One of the oldest squares in the town. In 1877 the building of the Society of Music Arts, now Philharmonic society, was built here. The most prominent singers and music stars performed here: Solomiya Krushelnytska, Enrico Caruso, Arthur Rubinstein, Sidi Tal etc. The five-storied hotel “Bristol” is one more architectural dominating structure in the square. Now it is a dormitory of BSMU.
Chernivtsi is one of the towns of Ukraine that can be truly considered a masterpiece of architecture. 602 architectural monuments in the historical part of Bukovyna capital are registered in the State Fund including 17 of them of a national value. The official motto of modern Chernivtsi is “By combined effort!” – “Viribus Unitis!” in Latin. The right to use this motto was granted by Franz Joseph I, the Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary, and monarch of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Chernivtsi deserved to be called an intellectual center. It is the place where many famous scientists, cultural and public figures were born, worked and created (Erwin Chargaff, Sydir Vorobkevych, Volodymyr Ivasiuk, Mila Kunis, Paul Celan and many others).
Modern Chernivtsi not only carefully preserves and restores the symbols and traditions of the past, but initiates new ones. Since November 12, 2004, at midday a trumpet player wearing original national Bukovinian clothes walks up the stairs of Chernivtsi Town Hall every day and plays the melody of undying music composition “Marichka” (music by S. Sabadash, lyrics by M. Tkach). This melody is called an unofficial anthem of Chernivtsi.
Let’s preserve and increase glorious traditions of Chernivtsi attaching to them new European features!
You can become a dentist by obtaining a higher education on the specialty “Dentistry”, having graduated from the “Bukovinian State Medical University”!
Discover your Talent. A great shot that has a clear message. We would like to see your photos on the following topics: «The Beauty of […]
World is going to change. Modern innovative educational technologies provide a great opportunity to continue curriculum in spite of unpredictable international events.